Find us on Google+ French Toast with Blueberry Compote ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

July 26, 2011

French Toast with Blueberry Compote


I love my french toast, but I also know that maple syrup really isn't the best choice for someone like me, trying to lose some weight.  Instead of giving up some of my most favorite foods, I have been looking for ways to make the same recipes, just healthier.  Last week, I came up with this great tasting topping for my french toast... Blueberry Compote.

1 cup blueberries
1/8 cup water
1 teaspoon of whole wheat flour

I omitted the sugar.  I figured blueberries are sweet enough, and I can skip the added calories that the sugar would add.  Place blueberries and water into small sauce pan, and bring to boil.  Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly.  While you are stirring with a large spoon, mash blueberries.  You will see this thicken.  You may want to add a small amount of water, depending on the desired consistency. 

Spread compote on top of french toast and serve. 

In the time it took to make the french toast, the blueberry compote was done.  I was pleasantly surprised at just how incredibly good this was.  I didn't miss the maple syrup one bit. 

1 comments:

Anonymous July 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

This looks so good. I'll be trying the blueberry compote later this week. Much thanks

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest