Find us on Google+ Stocking Up & Meal Planning Go Hand in Hand! ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

January 17, 2013

Stocking Up & Meal Planning Go Hand in Hand!

As much as I always tried to plan out my meals, I have always had to make those last minute runs to the grocery store to get the few items I needed for that nights dinner.  You know what happens when you "run in quickly" to a grocery store, right?  Yep, you always walk out with more than you planned, thus, defeating the purpose of "saving".  

Then there are those nights that you're just plain too tired to make anything, or the days you forget to take something out of the freezer, so you stand in front of the fridge, scratching your head, staring into the deep abyss of it for what feels like 2 hours until you just end up ordering pizza. 

I have been planning my meals for the last few months now, with what I like to think of, with great success!  What jump started me?   I started to pay real attention to the prices of meats, and began tracking them.  When I began noticing items going below the norm, that's when I purchased them. 


      ♦ 5 pounds of Cube Steak for $3.99 lb
♦ 25 pounds of Stew beef, at an incredible price of just $2.99 lb
♦ 20 packages of Frozen Perdue Ground Chicken at an insane price of just 99¢ PER PACKAGE!
♦ 4 packages of frozen Calamari rings on sale for $4.99 each
♦ 20 lbs of Chicken Breasts for just $1.69 lb
♦ 8 Packages of Nathan's Kielbasa for just $1.99 a package


So now with loads of different main dish items stocked in our freezers, I won't be running out for those last minute meals.  I will only be making trips to the grocery store for the weekly, fresh fruits, veggies and milk.

So what's on the menu?  

  ♦ Sunday - Pillsbury Grands Pizza Cups
Monday - Sweet & Sour Kielbasa with Potatoes
Tuesday - Cordon Bleu Cakes
Wednesday - Spaghetti & Meatballs
Thursday - Crispy Calamari Salad  (Recipe will follow)
Friday Fried Chicken (side dish undecided)
Saturday - Tacos
Sunday - Easy Beef Bourguignon (Recipe will follow!)

By my estimates, we have roughly enough main dish items to go a full 2 months!  

Do you have tips for menu planning?  I'd love to hear about them!  Leave a comment and let us all know! 


0 comments:

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest