Find us on Google+ Progress Continues! ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

September 02, 2010

Progress Continues!

What a whirlwind day yesterday!  It was such a busy and crazy day that I had absolutely no time to post at all.  The girls started their first day of Junior High School, I am still trying to get that to sink in!

In addition to starting off a new school year, our kitchen cabinets finally arrived!  I was like a kid in a candy store yesterday as they were bringing them into the house.  We are hoping that by September 10th, we will be able to start making meals again.  Dining out has gotten very old, very quick.  September 10th is when our appliances arrive.

The floor guys were also here yesterday, putting the first of three coats of polyurethane on the bedroom floors.  The only issue here is that it has been extremely hot and humid here in the Northeast, turning this into a very long drying time.  They will be here again today, to see if it dried, if it hasn't they will have to wait another day to put the second coat on.  We left the fans on all night, in hopes that would help.  I still have my fingers crossed.  I don't think our floors looked this good when we first moved in the house three years ago. 

The finishing touches were completed in the bathroom yesterday as well.  I love the new tub/shower.  I will be taking a few more pictures later on, but I do want to give everyone a heads up on a little something here.  If and when you are hiring any type of construction company, don't be afraid to ask questions, ask for extras, or bargain with them.  We were able to get an additional corner shelf in our bath, as well as a decorative backing when we asked if they could keep the existing shower head, and faucet.  We then bought our own, and my handy husband installed them himself over this past weekend.  We ended up paying less then one hundred dollars for something they would have charged us over four hundred dollars for.  Though we didn't pay less, we got more than we would have, had we had them install a new faucet and shower head. 

Though they are not calling for a direct hit to New England, we are also still preparing for some pretty bad weather here come Friday and Saturday from Hurricane Earl.  We're not running out to get plywood or anything, but we are going around the yard, making sure everything is buckled down, so it doesn't blow around, and making lots of ice, as a just in case.  We have a lot of very old trees in this neighborhood, and lots of Weeping Willow trees in back of our house.  If you're not familiar with Weeping Willows, these are the first trees to come down in a strong storm, as their root system is very small and weak.  Our neighbor had one in their yard, and it fell.  There was no storm, no wind, it just fell.  These trees make me a little nervous. 

And lastly, we welcomed a new member to our family.  Many who know us, are saying to themselves right now, "Are you crazy?"  In the middle of construction?  Well, crazy?  Maybe.  My husband and I took it as a sign.  The last time we had construction going on, in our last house, we ended up with a cat, and she had been the best cat.  She was all white, but had two different color eyes, and sadly her time was cut way too short.  We hadn't been looking for a cat, I had "mis-clicked" a link while on the computer, and well, needless to say we have a new cat.  He doesn't have a name yet, is an absolute sweetheart, and completely stole our hearts!  Don't worry pictures will come soon! 

2 comments:

Marcie September 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

I am really loving all of the various things that you are putting in your "new" home. I think that the cabinets will be just yummy in your new kitchen. Can't wait to see the end result. Love the stain colors you've selected. Even like the wall mural you have up in the bedroom. I popped the pics out and could see in the full size how really great it was. The beadboard in the bathroom is something I would love in one of my baths. I have a beach theme in the bedroom/bathroom and that would look so nice. I may see if my remodel guy will do that for me next spring. :)

I know the light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little brighter. Will have you in my prayers as Hurricane Earl approaches.

suzette41 September 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

like your site cool I am new to blogging so check it thank you suzette

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest