Find us on Google+ More Surgery for 2011 ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

January 22, 2011

More Surgery for 2011


I thought that we were finished with surgeries.  Both girls have undergone 4 separate surgeries on their feet, to correct tendon issues.  I am happy to report that both girls, and all four feet have healed, and look beautiful.  They have been able to run, bike, swim, and do absolutely everything a normal 12 year old can do. 

My youngest, ( I say youngest, but in reality, younger by only 2 minutes.)  has been having trouble with her knees for the last 6 months.  She has been diagnosed with Chondromalacia patella.  What is it exactly?  Chondromalacia patella is due to an irritation of the under surface of the kneecap. The under surface of the kneecap, or patella, is covered with a layer of smooth cartilage. This cartilage normally glides effortlessly across the knee during bending of the joint. However, in some individuals, the kneecap tends to rub against one side of the knee joint, and the cartilage surface becomes what can only be described as what an ice rink looks like after 3 periods hockey being played. Interesting, in that it often strikes young, otherwise healthy, athletic individuals and women are more commonly affected with chondromalacia.

We had hoped that conservative treatments, vitamin E and an anti-inflammatory would work.  Unfortunately, they have not.  We are currently waiting to hear from the hospital for an MRI date, to ensure that the underlying problem isn't a tear in the cartilage.

I look back now, and realize that this should not have surprised me.  She has always had some sort of tendon or ligament problem.  She was placed in a cast between surgeries to correct an Achilles tendon issue.  She had a quick growth spurt, and grew faster than the Achilles tendon grew, finding this issue out rather quickly, we were able to have her foot casted, to avoid the tendon ripping. 

Now that she is 12, almost 13, I made a conscience decision to let her decide.  We talked about it last night over dinner.  She's aware that if she doesn't have the surgery, provided there is no tear, she will always have the pain that she is experiencing, and that her knee will continue to lock up while in motion.  She's also aware that this particular surgery is not a guarantee that it will work.  There is an 80% to 90% chance that it will in fact work, and solve her knee pain.  She knows the risks that are involved with any surgery, as she has been through 4 of them over the last few years. 

She's a brave girl, she came to me this morning, and said that she did not want to live with this pain, and wanted the surgery.  I could only smile and say okay.  I don't particularly like the numbers though.  At least with the previous surgeries, there was a 99% guarentee that the problems would be corrected.  I'm really not fond of that 80% number.  I guess my biggest fear, is that she will be in that 10% - 20% group, and I would hate to think that she goes through with all of this, and we find out that it's all for nothing.  

So here's my question to all of you...  Is an 80% - 90% chance that a surgery will work, a good enough number?  Would you let your 12/13 year old hold the decision to either have or not have a surgery? 

2 comments:

Jennifer January 22, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

Being that she has gone thru so much already, it sounds like to me she is a very mature young lady. I would let her decide. I believe 80% is a pretty good number. If she was to fall in that 10-20% category i would think she would still have a little relief if not all of it. Best of luck!

Anonymous January 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM  

I would have to agree with Jennifer, 80 to 90 percent is a pretty good number, and even if it didn't work 100 percent, I would think there would still be some sort of relief with the surgery. Good Luck!

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest