Find us on Google+ Homemade Kentucky Fried Chicken! ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

December 30, 2011

Homemade Kentucky Fried Chicken!


My husband and I are always looking for new recipes.  See, I am a type of person, that gets tired of the same recipes very quickly. 

We tend to watch a lot of Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, Man V's Food, and a few other shows that showcase recipes from around the country. 

Even more, I'm a KFC girl.  I love my chicken.  However, I hate the price, I mean it's chicken.  It's not like it's lobster.  No.  It's chicken!  Chicken should not be that expensive. 

So through trial and error, and concocting a few different batter recipes to try out over the last several weeks, I think we finally came up with a recipe close to, if not even better than real KFC Chicken! 

Here's the recipe:

2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into small pieces
2 Eggs beaten
4 Cups All Purpose, Unbleached Flour ( Any Flour will do.)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Ground Mustard
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Paprika
1 package Tomato Soup Mix ( Lipton makes a great one)

Add all dry ingredients together, and set aside.  Place cut up chicken pieces into a large Ziploc bag, add beaten eggs, and seal bag up.  shake up the bag to coat all the pieces of chicken evenly.  Let stand for a couple of minutes, and shake up again.  Open up the bag, and add the dry ingredients, and shake up bag vigorously, until all the chicken is coated.  Empty bag back into bowl, you may need to continue to mix up chicken to coat any pieces that didn't get coated in bag. 



Heat oil (We use a Cool Daddy) to highest temp, 375 degrees.  Two Chicken Breasts usually take two batches in the Cool Daddy.  Fry for approx 9-12 minutes.  Pieces will be golden brown.  Take chicken out of fryer, and place on some paper towels to drain any excess oil. 

2 Chicken Breasts were more than enough for my family of four.  Of course we also made Cole Slaw, and Mashed potatoes, just like when we order used to order from KFC. 

I am always forgetting to take pictures during the different steps, which is something I am working on trying to remember. 

2 comments:

Anonymous December 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

oh my god! That looks so good! I am going try this recipe out this week. Thanks!

Amanda January 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM  

Thank you so much for this! I made this for our New Years Eve Party, and it was the biggest hit! Everyone asked where I bought it from!

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest