Find us on Google+ 365 Tips to a Healthier, Happier, Better You ~ New Series ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

January 01, 2012

365 Tips to a Healthier, Happier, Better You ~ New Series

I am beginning a new series here on Brandy's Big Bargains, called...

365 Tips to a Healthier, Happier, Better You. 

As I wrote in an earlier post, I will not be talking about New Year's Resolutions, for the simple reason that when you don't keep them, it feels like you have failed.  At least that's the way I feel each year.  So instead, I will be talking about simple "Life Changes".  Simple Changes that will help to create...

Balance.

Health.

Happiness.

Simplicity.

Prosperity.


For the first day, it's all about safety.  Home safety that is. 

Did you know that over those course of a single year, there are as many as 15,000 house fires start in the laundry room each year due to clogged dryer vents?  Did you also know that Dryer Vent fires account for as many as 15 deaths, and 400 injuries each year? 

Although our house fire back in 2010 didn't start with a clogged dryer vent, I have become somewhat obsessed with making sure I do everything I can to NOT have another house fire. 

Take an hour or two today, to unhook your dryer, and give the vent a thorough cleaning out.  Dryer Cleaning Kits, can be purchased at Lowe's for as low as $35, and new vent hoses / kits can be purchased for a little as $14.  Is your life and home worth $35?  I know mine is, that's why later today, we will be cleaning out our own dryer vents. 

It's recommended to clean out your dryer vents every two years.  I recommend cleaning them out every New Year's Day.  A simple chore that can save you thousands of dollars in the long run. 

Cleaning out your dryer vents also helps to ensure your dryer isn't working harder than it has to, which will not only help to prevent a house fire, but will also save you some green on your electricity bill!

While your at it, don't forget to change your fire alarm batteries too. 

1 comments:

Jennifer January 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM  

I love this idea. I have been replacing my fire alarm batteries on New Year's Day for the last 6 years, and never thought to add the Dryer Vent clening to my list of New Year's Must Do's. Will be doing this tonight! Thanks.

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest