Find us on Google+ Smart Phones... Which is Better? ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

November 05, 2009

Smart Phones... Which is Better?


I was recently in the market for a new phone.  With so many choices out there, I wasn't really sure which phone I wanted.  I did however know what I liked, and what I didn't like.  I had a mental list of what I needed and wanted.  Which, believe it or not, are two completely different lists.  I had the iphone already, and though I loved it, we have TMobile, and had to do a lot of things, in order for it to work with TMobile.  and at that, it still didn't work as well as I wanted it to.  The apps, are great, and literally, there are thousands of apps to choose from, many of which are free, some are very helpful, and others, are just for fun. 


I did enjoy the iPhone a great deal, the touch screen, the apps, the email, I didn't have a single complaint.  However, because we are TMobile people, I would much rather stay with Tmobile, than go to AT&T.  Even if only for the Customer Service.  Anyway, I then decided last week, to go and try the new Blackberry Curve.  I got the insurance, and came out and told the rep, that I was going to beat the crap out of this machine to make sure I liked it.  I had two weeks to decide, so I was going to put that through everything I could think of. 

Now before anyone emails, and tells me that they love their Blackberry, let me first say, I learned in the first day, you are either a Blackberry person or you're not.  I am not.  I hated this phone.  I did not like the keys, I hated the fact that I had to hit the "alt" key in order to get the other keys, such as the question mark, period, colon, etc.  This was not the phone for me, and I new that 20 hours into having it.  The one thing I did like about this phone, was the email feature.  You could choose to delete the email from either just your phone, or both the phone, and the actual email account.  So needless to say, the very next day I brought the phone back, and did a little more looking. 




That's when I came across the My Touch, I looked, felt, and tried.  I was hooked!  I told them, I wanted to try that one next!  the rep just laughed at me.  I walked out of the store, with my new My Touch.  it only took me a few hours to realize that this was the phone for me.  It has everything I needed, and everything I wanted.  The only fault I could find with this phone was unlike the iPhone, in order to switch the phone to it's side, you can only turn it one way.  The iPhone, changes no matter what direction you turn it.  The My Touch has just as many apps as the iPhone, or at least it seems that way, same great touch screen, and feel, but a little more user friendly. 

So if your in the market for a new phone, I highly suggest doing your homework on at least three models that peak your interest, because what works for me, may not work for you.  It comes down to nothing but preference.  All the phones I tried were great phones, but what can I say I'm human, and have my favorite.  I will say if you're planning on "trying" out phones like I did, be prepared to pay a small restocking fee.  I know, it's not very frugal, but I wanted to make sure I got the right phone for me, well worth a little restocking fee.  Also, go directly to a local verizon, AT&T, or TMobile store, and not a registered dealer of one.  The reps are more informed, and know about fees upfront, and will even help you determine if your on the best plan, for your needs, just ask. 


Photobucket

5 comments:

Unknown November 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

My hubby went through the same thing! We are w/ AT&T, so he tried the iPhone, Blackberry, and the Samsung Solstice. The Solstice was exactly what he needed. So, yeah definately check a few out. Great idea!

Marcie November 5, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

Nice review! I currently have an LG Dare touch screen w/ Verizon. I would love to have an iPhone but I'm not willing to go to AT&T.

I just spent a good while on the Verizon website. None of their current cell phones/smart phones really make me ooo or ahhh! I looked at the Blackberry's and they have a model called a Storm that kinda has me drooling. But, what you read and what happens when you get it in your hand are two totally different things as you found.

I am going by the Verizon store tomorrow and see what I can figure out. They also have a Blackberry Tour 9630 with a B1G1 deal. It doesn't have a touch screen though and I think I prefer that.

Michelle November 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

I wonder if we have been speaking with the same tmobile customer service. I have never in my life had a company treat me as poorly as tmobile has treated me. I have been in a raging war with tmobile for the past 5 months. In fact I called yesterday about a activitation fee they put on my home phone line without telling me they were going to do so. Instead of taking care of the issue right then and there, they told me they'd call me back on Tuesday. That is the worst customer service in the world.

Deb ! Frugal Living And Having Fun! November 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

Wow! Did you get paid to write all of that? LOL

How are ya? I'm still at the hospital...sorry I didn't call...I have to wait until I get home to call due to minutes and when I get home I have to go to sleep...crazy!

I will however talk to you soon..promise...

Did you hear from AJ WrightYet?

What did you get for going to Stop & Shop LUCKY girl?
Smile..
deb

Brandy November 7, 2009 at 5:33 AM  

To be perfectly honest, I didn't get a single cent from this post. None of these companies came to me, asking me to write a post on their phone. Ginger, actually gave me the idea to write about them, due to I was trying them out! lol!

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest