Find us on Google+ 365 Tips to a Healthier, Happier, Better You ~ Day 9 ~ Brandy's Big Bargains

January 15, 2012

365 Tips to a Healthier, Happier, Better You ~ Day 9


Clogged Drains.  We have all been there. 

Why did I choose to add this to my list of 365 tips to a Healthier, Happier, Better You?  I do believe that a clear UNcloged drain, falls into the "Happier" category here.  I know from recent endevors, that dealing with a clogged drain makes me less than happy.  We spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to unclog one drain, only to use another drain, and see it fill the bathub... ugh.

Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have a husband who is quite the handyman.  After about 4 hours, he finally found where the problem was.  So we had to open up some traps, and snake the area out.  This is not what I wanted to be doing on a Saturday afternoon. 

Don't want to have to ever clear a clogged drain?  Well there are some steps you can do to prevent most clogs from happening. 

~ Take 1/2 cup of Baking Soda, and dump the dry powder down your drains

~ Add 1 and 1/2 cups of White Vinegar down each drain, and let it foam and clean the pipes for 20 minutes. 

~ After about 20 minutes, run HOT water down each of your drains.

By doing this once a month, you can prevent a lot of the build up that occurs in the drains, thus avoiding those dreaded clogs.  Better still you wont be wasting money on liquid bottles that "Claim" to unclog any drain. 
I learned my lesson, and went out to the store afterwards to stock up on some Baking Soda and Vinegar, so I too could maintain my now, clear drains. 

2 comments:

Anonymous January 16, 2012 at 7:49 AM  

Great tip. I have some slow drains in my home that I will be trying this mixture on later this week.

Brenda M January 17, 2012 at 6:08 AM  

I bought the baking soda and vinegar the other day and did this to a couple of slow drains that I had. What a difference this made. My drains aren't perfect , but I will be doing this several more times over the next couple of weeks, hopefully, they will be 90% better by then. Thank You for this great tip!

Subscribe, Follow, and Find Me Here

email RSS feeds Twitter Facebook yelp pinterest